Realistic De-escalation Training
Registration line: 312-690-6216 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing reality to de-escalation training!
We’re moving this hot-button topic decisively beyond impractical academic theories spun from idealized situations. Instead, “Realistic De-escalation,” a fresh, new course offered exclusively by the Force Science® Institute, is anchored in thoroughly researched and tested principles of human performance in real-world encounters. Registrations are being taken NOW.
“It is very helpful and extremely important to have access to the type of realistic, scientifically-based de-escalation training that Force Science offers. This is a critical topic that police departments are facing more and more. The training I have seen so far from other sources has been ‘all over the place’ and typically impractical and unrealistic and often seems to set officers up for failure. Not so with Force Science de-escalation training!”
— Chief Brian Hughes
North Strabane Twp. (PA) PD
In this timely two-day program, you’ll learn what it really takes to accurately assess potentially violent confrontations and, when feasible, defuse them with easy-to-grasp, successfully applied tactics to avoid use-of-force crises.
This unique content is expertly designed under the direction of Dr. Bill Lewinski to be smoothly integrated into an agency’s training curriculum...to be actively engaged during tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving field encounters...and then to be brought to bear in critical investigations of both force and non-force events, as well as in media and citizen education.
Given today’s pervasive, emotionally charged atmosphere, Force Science’s practical “Realistic De-escalation” training is invaluable for virtually all law enforcement professionals, from street officers, trainers, PIOs, and supervisors to investigators, administrators, and attorneys.
“The goal of the course,” says Dr. Lewinski, “is to strengthen the ability of officers to employ de-escalation techniques whenever possible and to deepen the knowledge of force investigators and reviewers regarding the often-misunderstood dynamics involved—all with the help of relevant proven science.
“A critical grasp and mastery of certain fundamental human performance factors can have a surprisingly powerful influence in resolving and judging even the most challenging confrontations.”
Among the many valuable benefits of the “Realistic De-escalation” course, students will learn how to:
• Avoid dangerous “de-escalation myths” that can jeopardize both officers and subjects…as well as entire agencies and communities;
• Quickly evaluate any interaction to determine whether de-escalation efforts are reasonable to consider, tactically practical, and likely to be successful;
• Use such critical Force Science® concepts as the “Response-ability Zone” and the “7 T’s De-escalation Evaluation Model” to evaluate options at a scene or during investigations;
• Improve your ability to safely and effectively navigate challenging encounters with mentally ill subjects;
• Dramatically enhance de-escalation efforts by strategically combining human performance research findings, observations of subject behavior, and the right psychological techniques for negotiation and influence;
• Employ specialized questions specifically designed to cognitively engage individuals in crisis and increase the likelihood of a non-forceful resolution;
• Better ensure that officers’ approach and control strategies maximize their response options while minimizing the potential for unnecessary emotional and/or physical escalation;
• Balance the desirability of trying to resolve a conflict peacefully with the need to maintain officer and citizen safety;
• Employ proven techniques to overcome resistance and avoid or defuse physical confrontations;
• Increase the breadth and effectiveness of in-house de-escalation training programs;
• Assist investigators and others reviewing uses of force to recognize the pivotal situational and behavioral factors that must be considered when assessing whether de-escalation efforts might have been feasible and potentially effective;
• Help community members and the media better understand what realistic de-escalation entails and the challenges that subjects may present that can inhibit, if not prohibit, an officer’s ability to safely de-escalate.
“This is the class I have been waiting for! This program has shifted my thoughts completely on how to teach this material.”
— Det. T.J. White
Ft. Lauderdale (FL) Police Dept.
“This was a great class! Much better than any other de-escalation training I have received. Very realistic with information that will be useful in the real world.”
— Major Ken Davis
Cobb Co. (GA) Sheriff’s Office
“One of the best courses I have ever attended. I was very impressed by the high level of professionalism of the Force Science instructors and staff.”
— Corporal Michael Johnson
Palm Beach Co. (FL) Sheriff’s Office
Tuition: $495 per student
(Note: Exact training site address & recommended hotel information will be provided when you register.)
HOW TO REGISTER:
Please e-mail the following to: email@example.com
1. Course dates for which you are registering
2. Full name
5. Mailing address
6. Phone numbers, including cell
7. Method of tuition payment
(Note: Tuition must be received at the point of registration. VISA, MasterCard and America Express are accepted. In some instances, prompt payment by check may be accepted. Please inquire regarding check payments when registering.)
Call the Force Science® Training Center registration line: (312) 690-6216.